Review of mould for landlords

There will be a review of the guidance to landlords about health risks from damp and mould after the death of two-year-old Awaab Ishak.

The housing and health secretaries, Michael Gove and Steve Barclay, said “new guidance would be published by the summer with the UK Health Security Agency involved in the review.”

If you have damp and mould in your home you’re more likely to have respiratory problems, asthma, respiratory infections and allergies. Damp and mould can also affect the immune system.

(NHS advuce on damp and mould)
Causes of damp and mould:

Mould and damp are caused by excess moisture. Moisture in buildings can be caused by leaking pipes, rising damp in basements or ground floors, or rain seeping in because of damage to the roof or around window frames.

A newly built home may be damp if the water used when building it is still drying out – for example, in the plaster on the walls. Excess moisture indoors can also be caused by condensation.

If you have mould or damp it’s important to find out why you have excess moisture in your home. When you know what’s causing the damp, you can make sure your home is repaired or take steps to limit the moisture in the air. You may need to get a professional to remove mould for you, but if it’s only a small amount you may be able to remove it yourself.

There are also home improvement grants and services available which may help with the cost of getting rid of damp and mould. Find local home energy grants on the Simple Energy Advice website.

Share on Social Media:

Get in Touch