Kings Norton Area Guide
Kings Norton village lies about 7 miles to the south of Birmingham City and is a popular suburb with both residential, and some industrial property
It was first mentioned in Roman times when there was a settlement at Parsons Hill close to Icknield Street and the name is believed to be derived from a north settlement held by the king. From Saxon times onwards it was one of the manors of Bromsgrove and is mentioned frequently in the history of the area, parts of the village date from medieval times. Industry in the late 1700’s came with the Birmingham to Worcester canal which linked through to the River Severn. The coming of the railways brought further developments in the mid 1800’s the main Birmingham to the south west railway line passes through the area.
Notwithstanding the history most of the residential property is much more recent. There are areas of Victorian terrace houses around Cotteridge and areas of interwar semi detached houses off Parsons Hill but much of the remaining property in Kings Norton has been built since the last war.
Of particular note is the lovely residential area formed around Merecroft Pool to the west of the village with roads such as Rednal Road, Beak Hill Road, Meadow Hill Road and Grassmoor Road. This delightful enclave is well worth a visit by discerning house hunters.
Kings Norton is very well served for transport links lying on the A441 Birmingham to Redditch Road with the junction 2 on the M42 Motorway about 4 miles away. Kings Norton Station is on the cross city line bringing a very regular service to the vibrant social, shopping and commercial centres in the city. There is also regular bus services reaching many parts of Birmingham.
There is an excellent shopping centre around the green that forms the centre of Kings Norton village and the delightful Kings Norton Park is close by.
The Green was the centre of the village in medieval times bounded by the 13th century Saint Nicholas Church. There are also a number of medieval buildings here, The Tudor Merchants House was built in 1492 and the nearby Old Grammar School is believed to date from 1434 and was used as a school in the middle ages.
There are a number of schools including the well known Kings Norton Boys School.
Search of local schools, enter the post code where you hope to move to
St Lawrence Church in Kings Norton https://www.kingsnorton.org.uk/
Merecroft Pool in Kings Norton http://www.birminghamconservationtrust.org/2020/03/20/friday-photo-merecroft-pool/
Kings Norton Park https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/directory_record/9126/kings_norton_park
The Tudor Merchants House Kings Norton https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/529806343634279261/
The Old Grammar School Kings Norton https://www.stnicolasplace.com/