Top Tips for Successful Letting
- De-clutter- make sure personal items are put away as they are distractions to viewers. They like to see space and struggle to look past lots of belongings.
- Decoration- Pale, neutral background colours work best with a dash of colour brought in with furniture and furnishings is ideal.
- Kerb appeal- Make sure that external decoration is tidy and there are attractive features on show e.g. hanging baskets or window baskets
- Flooring- Ideally there should be the same neutral carpets throughout or good quality wooden or laminate flooring. Bathrooms and kitchens should always have wipe able flooring.
- Old fashioned curtains, pelmets
- Patterned or brightly coloured carpets
- Dated kitchens and bathrooms
- Old fashioned storage heaters
- Cheap and/or mismatched furniture
- Building works- most viewers cannot see past extensive building work, however final touches are usually ok.
- Not taking advice or being flexible- Sharers can make excellent tenants. Pets don’t always cause destruction- why don’t you meet the pet if you’re unsure?
- Fall for the over-inflated rental quote- Some agencies will often value your property too high to win your business. Remember- a property sat empty will earn you nothing.
- Communal areas- These should create a good first impression so make sure they are neat and tidy
- White goods- Remember if they are supplied then you are expected to repair or replace. Don’t let this put you off providing them though, some Tenants on a tight budget cannot afford to buy them all for a short term tenancy.
- Technology- Most tenants need cabling for satellite TV, phone and broadband