Skip to content

What Type of Insurance Should you Have?

If you are renting out a property, you will need specific insurance that applies to this scenario.  Your current homeowner level of insurance will not be sufficient, and if you have not informed your insurance company that your property is tenanted, no money will be paid out if you make a claim.  It’s a fact that over a quarter of UK landlords actually have the wrong type of insurance or, more alarmingly, none at all!

So, what types of cover should landlords have in place?

It’s worth pointing out here that you should be aware that different insurers will lump these into 1 policy and others will have them as add-ons or not at all.  You must always check the small print to see what is and isn’t included.


Landlord’s building insurance - This will cover the rebuilding costs should you have a fire or flood.


Landlord’s contents insurance - This covers any furnishings in the property.  If the property is unfurnished, it covers carpets and curtains.


Landlord’s liability insurance – This is to protect you against claims made by the tenant for personal injury to themselves or visitors.


Malicious damage by tenants – This insurance covers you against damage caused to the property by tenants.


Loss of rent - If the property becomes uninhabitable, then this will cover the lost rent. This is particularly important if you have a mortgage on the property.


Void period insurance - To protect your property if ever there any void periods.


Legal expenses - To cover you against any disputes with the tenant, squatters and repossessing the property.


Home emergency cover – This will cover the cost of any emergency repairs such burst pipes, break ins, etc.


As you can see there are many areas of cover to take into consideration to give you the best possible protection. If you would like a specialist landlord insurance quote, then please contact us to arrange this on us a call on 0121 445 7410 or email our lettings team direct!


Robert Oulsnam and Company Limited are not authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority. However, we are included on the register maintained by the Financial Conduct Authority so that we can carry on insurance mediation activity, which is broadly advising on, selling and administration of insurance contact. This part of our business, including arrangements for complaints or redress if something goes wrong is regulated by RICS.