The settlement and development of the Kings Heath district essentially began in the eighteenth century. Until then, it was a largely unoccupied wasteland with ancient woods and commons. As part of the Royal Manor of Kings Norton, this wasteland came to be called the Kings Heath. The attractions of the area were timber, clay suitable for brick- making and flax.
Two particular events brought new settlers at this time. In 1767, the old track from Alcester to Birmingham was improved and became a turnpike road. The toll gate and house were probably located at the northern end of what is now the High Street, near the boundary with Moseley. This stretch of the road was then quite marshy, being much lower than the road to the south, but nevertheless a scattering of cottages appeared around the Cross Guns where travellers stopped for rest and refreshment. The second event was the further enclosure of the heath from 1772 when new farms were established on its borders.
Kings Heath is now a suburb of Birmingham centred on the Alcester Road (A435).
There is an excellent shopping centre together with a range of schools and other facilities. Many of the homes in Kings Heath date from Victorian times ranging from terraced to very large semi-detached homes. Further developments were carried out in the inter war years to include some fine individual homes.
Kings Heath and Highbury Parks are particularly well thought of.
JR Tolkien lived for a time in Kings Heath in both Westfield Road and in Ashfield Road. Many of the ideas for the Lord of the Rings came from the surrounding area.